EMOTIONAL ABUSE OF WOMEN
The emotional abuse of women is a problem that is often hidden. Women often find that emotional abuse is difficult to name. If you are a victim, realize that emotional abuse is a serious problem and that you can get help. Believe in your strengths; you have the tools you need to survive. Consider getting counselling/psychotherapy; this can help you see your strengths, support you, and lead towards your empowerment.
WOMEN BEING EMOTIONALLY ABUSED ASK:
- Am I stupid?
- Am I going crazy?
- Is this all just silly?
- Is it all my fault?
- What can I do?
These are the kinds of questions women being emotionally abused ask me.
WHAT IS EMOTIONAL ABUSE?
Emotional abuse involves a pattern of abusive and coercive behaviours used to maintain control over an intimate partner. Abusers use fear, guilt, shame and intimidation to wear you down and keep you under his thumb. Emotionally abusive relationships can destroy your self-esteem, lead to anxiety and depression and make you feel lonely and helpless.
See the following article which discusses both emotionally abusive men and emotionally abusive women. Stosny points out that the systematic use of emotional abuse to control another person is usually the domain of men.
Are you a victim of emotional abuse? You do not deserve to be abused. IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT. You deserve to be treated with respect and as an equal. You do not deserve to be hurt.
Has your self-worth, confidence and emotional well-being been eroded? Is your independence being taken away?
Do you feel stuck or trapped?
Are you aching and longing for the freedom to be yourself?
Warning Signs of Emotional Abuse
- Does your partner make you feel that you are wrong, stupid, crazy or inadequate?
- Does your partner control where you go?
- Does your partner often and wrongly accuse you of flirting with or seeing other people?
- Do you feel pressured by your partner when it comes to sex? e.g after a bad day of arguments your partner insists that you have intimate relations.
- Does your partner criticise you, belittle you, embarrass you or humiliate you in front of other people?
- Are you afraid of expressing your opinion?
- Do you often feel that you must say “sorry” just to keep the peace?
- Does your partner make threats?
- Does your partner control the finances even though you do not want him to? Does he prevent you from having access to money?
- Does your partner prevent you from doing activities you enjoy?
- Is your partner verbally aggressive? Does he insult you? Does he yell at you? Does he swear at you and call you names like “stupid bitch” or “dumb bimbo”.
- Do you feel confused about who you really are now?
- Do you feel afraid of your partner?
COMMENTS MADE BY WOMEN BEING EMOTIONALLY ABUSED:
A useful website for women being emotionally abused is:
IF YOU ARE A WOMAN BEING EMOTIONALLY ABUSED AND WOULD LIKE TO TALK WITH ME ABOUT YOUR STRUGGLES AND FEARS CALL ME NOW (after hours calls are welcome).
Mob 0478 783 506
Tel 9943 2400